Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Big 3-0

On Saturday, I turned 30. That's right. The journey up the hill to 40 just got much steeper, and, well, shorter!

I started off my birthday celebrations with a zip. Dad took me zip-lining at Navitat Canopy tours in Barnardsville the Saturday before my birthday. We spent the afternoon learning how to zip . . . and more importantly, how to brake. :) No worries, we come from a long line of fast learners, so by the third or fourth zip, we had it all under control. Zipping is so much fun! I was able to relax by the end - especially after I was the one who didn't make it all the way in & had to pull myself the rest of the way. Nevermind that I only came up about 10-15 feet short. Still, I was the ONLY one who came up short the entire trip. Somebody had to do it though. The guide said so at the beginning of our tour. I couldn't make him out to be a liar, now could I?? And not making it to the platform was actually my biggest fear.

Two-hundred plus feet off the ground?  - No problem.
A thousand foot long zip line?  - Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.
Coming up short and having to pull myself to the platform, thus being embarrassed in front of our entire group? - Um. No, thanks.

Fortunately, one of our guides was the only witness to my short-coming. So, all was well. Plus, I learned that coming up short really wasn't that big of a deal! I hope to go again sometime soon. Maybe do a night zip!


On the actual big day, I ran in the White Squirrel 5k in Brevard with Bobby & Kezaih. By far, the most difficult 5k I have done yet. (Does that mean less when you know I've only done three 5k's?) The course was much hillier than anything I've run. Ever. But, I was able to beat my Turkey Trot time by a full minute!


Saturday afternoon and evening were spent cleaning and making final preparations for my birthday party on Sunday.

Sunday afternoon, my family and friends showed up to grill out and visit. I think we welcomed around 40 people. My mom's entire family came (with the exception of a couple of cousins, who were missed!!)! Even her sisters from out of state came. I felt very honored to have them all here. We celebrated, lit a BUNCH of candles, and enjoyed each others company.

So far, 30 has been a wonderful milestone! I'm starting to think the people who said turning 30 is depressing, didn't really know what they were talking about . . .

For those who want to know what wisdom I've learned that I would pass on: Life is great TODAY. Remind yourself of that frequently. So often we get caught up in "Life will be great when I . . . " or "If I can just get through today . . . " But life is great today! Life is great today because today you have life . . . enjoy it! Be thankful for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment