Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Let the Blogging Begin...

My dear sister-in-law, Leah, keeps telling me that I need to get out of the ice age and into blogging. Well, here goes nothing! I love reading Leah's blog, but I really have no idea where to start for my own. I kind of think that this is not the best time to be starting a blog . . . as I am currently in a 6-week Nurse Aide class, 2 curriculum classes, part-time work, partially moved, and trying to maintain some semblance of a social life! But, if I wait until it's a good time to start, that might mean NEVER starting! So bear with me as I learn what this blogging thing is all about...

Today:
We practiced a few more skills in my Nurse Aide class. I think the biggest challenge in this course will be learning the specific steps required for the State exam - for all 24 skills. Most of the stuff is common sense, but sometime common sense eludes even the best of us. I find myself lacking the embarrassment that most of the other students display when dealing with "personal care". Hopefully this is a good sign? I mean, you just gotta do what has to be done, right? We start clinicals next week and I am actually looking forward to them. I think it will be interesting to see what we have learned being put into action. You know, on real people. I mean, Agnes, the wo/mannequin is great & all, but when the, um, "parts" fall out when you move she/he/it . . . the resulting laughter isn't exactly helpful to practicing skills!

I was reminded that September marks the anniversary of my mother's death. It's amazing how you just get caught up in living and overlook the anniversaries of life's tragedies. Not that I have forgotten my mother, by any means. Just seems like other days - normal days - are the ones that catch me off guard. The days that I wish I could share with my mom. She was such an amazing friend and, of course, mother.

I was able to squeeze in a little jogging this afternoon - followed by a healthy meal at Cook Out afterward. I view it as the equivalent to a protein shake. Leah & I have been running together for a while now (I run so slow that I think it really only classifies as jogging...). We are going to participate in the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day. Looking forward to it!

And I spent the rest of the afternoon studying for my first Anatomy and Physiology exam. Yippee. Four chapters - two down, two to go. Can you believe my instructor isn't doing a review before the exam?!? Her comment: "Everything that we have covered in lecture...in lab...in homework...it's all on the exam." YIKES! Here's hoping I over study and the exam is a cinch!

So - there you have it. My very FIRST blog post! Ahhhh! What an accomplishment!

1 comment:

  1. YAY for blogging... I am not all caught up! I can't believe I forgot to add it to my list,but you are added now... so keep the blogging coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete