Today was day one of our clinical portion for the Nurse Aide class. Everyone met at 7am - all jittery with nerves. We didn't really know what to expect, so we all felt a little apprehensive about what we had gotten ourselves into. I was one of six students today. We took a tour of the maze-like facility and then we were quickly assigned to a NA to "shadow". The NAs had already begun their morning routines by the time we hit the floor, so we went as a group to find them & one-by-one were paired off with our assigned NA.
My NA? Oh, yeah. She was in the middle of giving a resident a shower. I guess they literally meant I'd "just be getting my feet wet today." :) It really was no big deal. My NA was great. She explained everything and let me just watch some of the more risky tasks (moving a resident while in the shower, etc). We really had more down time than I expected. The day went smoothly and I think that the NAs were sort of searching for things to keep us busy by day's end.
I was surprised by the physical state of the residents. In our society, we do not see our elderly age up close and personal. I mean, I have been to nursing homes before, but never have I cared personally for anyone elderly. I don't know what I was expecting, maybe not quite so much physical deterioration? Maybe because of the stereotype that we start life out at babies and end life in much of the same way, I was expecting a little more . . . robustness? Babies are physically strong and healthy - that is such a huge contrast to the elderly. Today was an eye-opening experience to what aging and end of life care really are. No more rose-colored glasses.
Did I mention the amazing, free lunch we had? That's right, folks. This long-term care facility serves food with FLAVOR!! Fortunately, this facility provides lunch for the nurse aide students - free! I was a little concerned about the quality of the food, but when 12:30pm came and we entered the hot plate line in the dining hall . . . bbq riblets, turkey & gravy, potato cakes, green beans, broccoli, rolls . . . Oh man. Was I ever hungry and did that ever hit the spot! :) I don't think I have to worry about packing lunches for clinicals.
Five-fifteen this morning was a long time ago . . . thank you Grandma, for the use of your sofa for an hour this afternoon! (I really didn't feel that tired, but, put me on a sofa and in a warm room and bam! Asleep!) Alas, I still have to take a Psychology exam tonight - before midnight. So, switching gears from care of the aging folk to the development of infants. :) Good stuff . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment